DCOM Errors
Jim Hammar
2003-08-20 13:04:40 UTC
Recently the following alerts have begun showing up in
server event logs - both 2000 and NT4.
Anyone point me in the direction of;

1) What it means
2) How I identify the server from the code given

Event is :

Access denied attempting to launch a DCOM Server.
The server is:
{7DA3BE83-DFA6-4A6A-869E-B549A6FE2756
Lee Li [MSFT]
2003-08-20 17:05:35 UTC
Dear Jim,

Thank you for your update.
The error message indicates that the system cannot access a DCOM compoment
on your computer correctly. It can either be a permission issue or the DCOm
compoment is damaged. You can try the following steps to locate this DCOM
compoment on your computer:

1 Click Start, click Run, type "dcomcnfg" (without the quotation marks),
and then click OK.
2. Expand the compoment server and expand the "My computer" Right click on
"My computer: and choose "view" and choose details.
3. Click the item in the sub list of "My computer" one by one. You will see
a list of DCOM compoment appear in the right Window. Use the
{7DA3BE83-DFA6-4A6A-869E-B549A6FE2756" to locate the detail information of
DCOM compoment on your computer and let me know the name.

For more inforamtion of the DCOMcnfg utility, please take a look at the
following URL:
176799 INFO: Using DCOM Config (DCOMCNFG.EXE) on Windows NT
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=176799

Hope it help. Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Lee Li
MCSE2000, MCDBA2000
Microsoft Partner Online Support

your newsreader so
confers no rights.
Travis Rabe
2003-08-21 22:48:20 UTC
I too am getting this error - it looks like it's linked to McAfee ASAp
as far as I can tell. How do I go about fixing all of my machines?
Tahoe Guy
2003-08-25 15:44:16 UTC
I confirmed mine with McAfee - they told me to remove the patch.

Travis
Hello,
Have you looked in the Event logs to see how many errors or warnings you
are getting and if they are consistant with respect to time? Such as
occuring at the same time interval or after a service is started?
If this is in fact related to McAfee's software, then please consult with
them to see if they can provide any additional feedback. I am not sure of
the GUID you are seeing, but checking against the registry to see what
product owns that GUID will help.
As far as Microsoft related issues, the following should be helpful if
they
relate, but then again, if this is McAfee related, then it will be
impossible to determine specifically why this issue occurs without knowing
more, especially events in the eventvwr.exe.
This issue could be related to IIS as outlined in this KB article.
PRB: Access Denied When You Try to Start DCOM Server
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290398
If you run Sharepoint Portal server, Q298095 could apply.
DCOM Error Messages Logged in Event Log
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;Q298095
And if you are using the SAP DCOM connector, Q319515 could apply.
Q319515 - PRB: DCOM Errors Are Generated When You Try to Create
Destinations
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319515
Daran Tallarida, MCSE
Microsoft Online Support Engineer
rights.
--------------------
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
Subject: Re: DCOM Errors
Date: 21 Aug 2003 16:00:10 -0700
Jim,
Also if it's like mine, I am not sure how to tell which servere it;s
coming from because all servers have this in the registry for McAfee.
And Lee - I ried following your steps, but they make no sense. I run
dcomcnfg and it opens one box - but nothing with My Computer or
details. Also - no where in the box for Applications does it list
{7DA3BE83-DFA6-4A6A-869E-B549A6FE2756} on any of the machines I ran
DCOMCNFG on.
Travis
Jim Hammar
2003-08-26 00:05:10 UTC
Registry shows it's McAfee.
Remove what patch ?
[...]
and confers no
rights.
--------------------
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
.
Lee Li [MSFT]
2003-08-26 07:31:19 UTC
Dear Jim,

Thank you for your update.

I am glad to hear that you had confirmed the this registry is related with
McAfee.
Due to lack of testing tools and resources, and most of all, adequate
knowledge of McAfee, it is best for you to contact McAfee to resolved the
problem in a more timely and efficient manner. You can reach them at the
following URL:
http://us.mcafee.com/root/support.asp

Please let me know if you have any other concerns or questions.

confers no rights.
Tahoe Guy
2003-08-26 21:53:48 UTC
MS Patch # 823803

Travis

"Jim Hammar" <***@cha-systems.com> wrote in message news:04cb01c36b65$b707da80$***@phx.gbl...
Registry shows it's McAfee.
Remove what patch ?
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
.
Tahoe Guy
2003-09-02 22:51:55 UTC
McAfee Tech Support said Microsoft will be coming out with a fix for this in
the next rounf of patches (October 1st at the leatest).

Travis
Post by Tahoe Guy
MS Patch # 823803
Travis